Steel Dynamics, Inc. and its subsidiaries (collectively, “Steel Dynamics,” “we,” “us,” or “our”) are committed to protecting the privacy of your information. The following Privacy Notice (“Notice”) sets forth our policies and practices regarding how we use and share the information we collect through your navigation of our websites (collectively, the “Site”).
This Privacy Notice is effective as of 11/30/2021.
This Notice applies to the websites of Steel Dynamics, Inc. and its subsidiaries, including, but not limited to, those listed below. This Notice applies regardless of the medium in which the Site is accessed by a user (e.g., via a web or mobile browser). In the event that a Steel Dynamics, Inc. subsidiary posts a privacy notice on its website that is inconsistent or in conflict with this Notice, then the terms of that privacy notice will prevail and govern to the extent of the inconsistency or conflict in connection with the use of the subsidiary’s website.
- New Millennium Building Systems, LLC
- OmniSource, LLC
- Vulcan Threaded Products, Inc.
- SWVA, Inc.
- SDI LaFarga, LLC
- Roanoke Electric Steel Corporation
Personal Data We Process
We process the Personal Data we collect from you when you use the Site. “Personal Data” means any information that directly or indirectly relates to you and can identify you from a larger group.
Please note: When providing your Personal Data, please provide only relevant information and do not provide unnecessary sensitive information, such as Social Security numbers, credit card information, or other sensitive personal data, unless required for our services.
We process the following categories of Personal Data:
|Identifiers||A real name, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, company name, telephone number, and account information, such as the username and password you create when you register an online account with our Scrap Information Portal.||YES|
|Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e))||A name, signature, Social Security number, physical characteristics or description, address, telephone number, passport number, driver’s license or state identification card number, insurance policy number, education, employment, employment history, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information, medical information, or health insurance information.||NO|
|Protected classification characteristics||Age (40 years or older), race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, veteran or military status, genetic information (including familial genetic information).||NO|
|Commercial information||Records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.||YES|
|Biometric information||Genetic, physiological, behavioral, and biological characteristics, or activity patterns used to extract a template or other identifier or identifying information, such as fingerprints, faceprints, and voiceprints, iris or retina scans, keystroke, gait, or other physical patterns, and sleep, health, or exercise data.||NO|
|Internet or other similar network activity||Browsing history, search history, information on a consumer’s interaction with a website, application, or advertisement, such as browser type and settings, the date and time of your request, how you used the Site, cookie data; information about the device you are using to access the Site, including what type of device it is, what operating system you are using, device settings, unique device identifiers, and crash data.||YES|
|Geolocation data||Physical location or movements.||NO|
|Sensory data||Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information.||NO|
|Professional or employment-related information||Current or past job history or performance evaluations, résumés and information included therein.||YES|
|Non-public education information||Education records directly related to a student maintained by an educational institution or party acting on its behalf, such as grades, transcripts, class lists, student schedules, student identification codes, student financial information, or student disciplinary records.||NO|
|Inferences drawn from other Personal Data||Profile reflecting a person’s preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.||NO|
- Contact Information, including your first and last name, mailing address, email address, telephone number, and the name of your company.
- Account Information, such as the username and password you create when you register an online account with our Scrap Information Portal.
- Communication Information, such as the contents of the communications you send to us by submitting an online form using the Site.
- Resume Information, such as details about your education, employment history, salary history, and other information you may provide when you apply for a job with our company using the Site.
- Log Data, which includes information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website. This Log Data may include your Internet Protocol address, browser type and settings, the date and time of your request, how you used the Site, and cookie data.
- Device Information, which is information about the device you are using to access the Site, including what type of device it is, what operating system you are using, device settings, unique device identifiers, and crash data. Whether we collect some or all of this information often depends on what type of device you are using and its settings. For example, different types of information are available depending on whether you’re using a Mac or a PC, or an iPhone or Android phone. To learn more about what information your device makes available to us, please check the policies of your device manufacturer or software provider.
We collect Personal Data through:
- Direct interactions with you, such as when you voluntarily provide your information to us by contacting us, completing online forms, registering an online account, placing an order, subscribing to our newsletters, applying for a job, or otherwise engaging with our Site.
- Automated collection technology, which includes cookies, web beacons, and other automated tracking technologies, such as when you navigate the Site or click on links in the emails we send you, and when our servers automatically record Log Data about your visit to the Site.
- Of course, if you do not wish to have cookies on your devices, you may turn them off at any time by modifying your internet browser’s settings. However, by disabling cookies on your device, you may be prohibited from full use of the Site’s features or lose access to some functionality.
- A Web Beacon is an electronic image. Web Beacons can track certain things from your computer and can report activity back to a web server allowing us to understand some of your behavior. If you choose to receive emails from us, we may use Web Beacons to track your reaction to our emails. We may also use them to track if you click on the links and at what time and date you do so. Some of the third-party marketers we engage with may use Web Beacons to track your interaction with online advertising banners on our Website. This information is only collected in aggregate form and will not be linked to your Personal Data. Please note that any image file on a webpage can act as a Web Beacon.
How We Use Your Personal Data
We use your Personal Data to deliver our Site and related services to you, comply with applicable law, and improve your experience of the Site. For example, we use your Personal Data for the following purposes and on the following bases:
- Providing you with the products and services you have ordered and communicating with you regarding your request or transaction.
- Processing your application for a job or internship with our company.
- Sending you marketing communications, because it is in our legitimate interest to inform you about our products and services that may be of interest to you. We will only use your information for marketing purposes pursuant to your legal consent.
Performing website traffic analysis and usage analytics. We do this to better understand your preferences with respect to the Site, which will allow us to improve your user experience.
- For purposes of ensuring account and data security.
- For any other purposes identified in an applicable privacy notice, click-through agreement, or other agreement between you and us.
How We Share Your Personal Data
The third-party service providers we use for advertising and analytics include, but are not limited to:
The security of your information is important to us. We have implemented reasonable technical, physical, and administrative security measures intended to protect your Personal Data from unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. Please keep in mind, however, that no data transmitted over the Internet is 100% secure and any information disclosed online can potentially be collected and used by persons other than the intended recipient. You have a responsibility to keep your username and password confidential. If you believe your credentials have been compromised, please notify us immediately. Accordingly, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you transmit using the Site.
If you would like to learn more about how we protect your Personal Data, you may contact us at the information we provide below.
Your Choices and Selecting Privacy Preferences
We want to provide you with relevant information that you have requested.
If we provide subscription-based services, such as email newsletters, we will allow you to make choices about what information you provide at the point of information collection or at any time after you have received a communication from us while you are subscribed. Transactional or service-oriented messages are usually excluded from such preferences, as such messages are required to respond to your requests or to provide goods and services, and are not intended for the purposes of marketing.
We will not intentionally send you email newsletters and marketing emails unless you consent to receive such marketing information. After you request to receive these emails, you may opt out of them at any time by selecting the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of each email. Please note that by opting out or unsubscribing, you may affect other services you have requested we provide to you, in which email communication is a requirement of the service provided.
We do not market to and do not knowingly collect any Personal Data from or about a child under the age of 18 without the consent of the child’s parent or legal guardian.
The Site may contain links to websites not affiliated with us. Your use of an external website or any informational content found on an external website is subject to and governed by the privacy policies, terms, and conditions of that website. We do not endorse or make any representations or warranties concerning, and will not in any way be liable for, any informational content, products, services, software, or other materials available on an external website, even if one or more pages of the external website is framed within a page of our Site. Further, we are not responsible for the privacy practices of any external Site.
Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a California consumer, as defined by the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018, you may be afforded additional rights with respect to your “Personal Information” as that term is explicitly defined under California law. Any Personal Information we collect is collected for the commercial purpose of effectively providing our services to you, as well as enabling you to learn more about, and benefit from, our services. You may exercise each of your rights as identified below, subject to our verification of your identity.
- Access. You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection, use, and disclosure of your Personal Information over the past twelve (12) months. Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the receipt of your request. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable.
- Prohibit Data Sharing. When applicable, you may prohibit the sharing of your Personal Information. In your request, please explain how you wish us to prohibit the sharing of your Personal Information, and which categories of third parties you want to prohibit from receiving your Personal Information. When such prohibitions are not possible to provide our services to you, we will advise you accordingly. You can then choose to exercise any other rights under this Notice.
- Portability. Upon request and when possible, we can provide you with copies of your Personal Information. When such a request cannot be honored, we will advise you accordingly. You can then choose to exercise any other rights under this Notice.
- Deletion. You have the right to request that we delete any of your Personal Information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your Personal Information from our records, unless an exception applies. Where applicable, we will ensure such changes are shared with trusted third parties.
- Non-Discrimination. If a California data subject exercises his or her rights under California law, including the CCPA, we shall not discriminate against that California resident by denying our goods or services, charging different prices or rates to similarly situated consumers, providing a different level or quality of our goods or services, or taking any other adverse action.
- Exercising Your Rights. If you are a California resident who chooses to exercise the rights listed above, you can:
- Submit a request via email at email@example.com; or
- Call us at (260) 969-3500 to submit your request.
Only you, or someone legally authorized to act on your behalf, may make a request related to your Personal Information. If an authorized agent makes a request on your behalf, we may require proof that you gave the agent permission to submit the request.
We will respond to your request within forty-five (45) days. If we require more time, we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing.
In some cases our ability to uphold these rights for you may depend upon our obligations to process Personal Information for security, safety, fraud prevention reasons, compliance with regulatory or legal requirements, listed below, or because processing is necessary to deliver the services you have requested. Where this is the case, we will inform you of specific details in response to your request. We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service providers to:
• Complete the transaction for which we collected the Personal Information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, fulfill the terms of a written warranty or product recall conducted in accordance with federal law, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
• Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
• Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
• Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law.
• Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 et. seq.).
• Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information’s deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research’s achievement, if you previously provided informed consent.
• Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
• Comply with a legal obligation.
• Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
Pursuant to California Civil Code Section 1798.83, we will not disclose or share your Personal Information with third parties for the purpose of third-party marketing to you without your prior consent.
Do Not Track
Certain web browsers and other devices you may use to access the Site may permit you to submit your preference that you do not wish to be “tracked” online. We do not currently commit to responding to these submissions, in part, because no common industry standard for “do not track” has been adopted by industry groups, technology companies, or regulators. We will make efforts to monitor developments around Do Not Track browser technology and the implementation of a standard.
We Do Not Sell Your Personal Information
If we ever decide to sell Personal Information, we will update you via this Notice and include a link entitled “Do Not Sell My Personal Information,” to provide you with an opportunity to opt out of sales of your Personal Information.
Notice to Residents of Countries Outside of the United States
Steel Dynamics makes no claims that the Site and its contents are appropriate for use outside of the United States. If you access this website from outside the United States, you do so at your own risk and are responsible for compliance with the laws of your jurisdiction. If you visit the Site, conduct business with us online, or otherwise contact us from outside of the United States, please be advised that (i) any information you provide to us or that we automatically collect will be transferred to and processed in the United States or in other countries where our affiliates or vendors are located; and (ii) that by using our online services or submitting your information, including Personal Data, you explicitly authorize transfer of such information to and subsequent processing in the United States in accordance with United States law and this Privacy Notice.
Updates to the Privacy Notice
We may periodically revise the Privacy Notice in our sole and absolute discretion to reflect changes in the law or our business practices. If we revise the Privacy Notice, we will post the updated Privacy Notice on our website. Changes to the Privacy Notice will become effective and will apply to the information collected starting on the date we post the revised Privacy Notice.
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, or would like to access or correct your Personal Data and privacy preferences, please contact Steel Dynamics by using the following information:
Telephone: (260) 969-3500